25 Inspirational Charles Spurgeon Quotes to Enrich Your Faith
Charles Spurgeon was a 19th-century English Baptist preacher and author who left a lasting impact on Christianity.
Known as the “Prince of Preachers,” he preached to thousands of people throughout his ministry and authored numerous books and sermons that remain influential today.
In this article, we will explore 25 inspirational quotes from Charles Spurgeon that highlight his wisdom and insight into faith and life.
25 Inspirational Charles Spurgeon Quotes
1. “God is too good to be unkind and He is too wise to be mistaken. And when we cannot trace His hand, we must trust His heart.”
2. “The greatest enemy to human souls is the self-righteous spirit which makes people look to themselves for salvation.”
3. “To be a Christian without prayer is no more possible than to be alive without breathing.”
4. “A good character is the best tombstone. Those who loved you and were helped by you will remember you when forget-me-nots have withered. Carve your name on hearts, not on marble.”
5. “Trials teach us what we are; they dig up the soil, and let us see what we are made of.”
6. “Faith goes up the stairs that love has built and looks out the windows which hope has opened.”
7. “Nobody ever outgrows Scripture; the book widens and deepens with our years.”
8. “A true saint is suspicious of nothing more than his own heart.”
9. “I have a great need for Christ: I have a great Christ for my need.”
10. “The gospel is like water; no man invented it, yet no man can live without it.”
11. “The preaching of Christ is the whip that flogs the devil. The preaching of Christ is the thunderbolt, the sound of which makes all hell shake.”
12. “By perseverance the snail reached the ark.”
13. “Let your hope in Christ transcend your pain and suffering.”
14. “God’s mercies are new every morning.”
15. “A good character is not a thing you are born with; you have to build it piece by piece–by thought, choice, courage and determination.”
16. “The only way to avoid criticism is to say nothing, do nothing, and be nothing.”
17. “If God be near a church, it must pray. And if he be not there, one of the first tokens of his absence will be a slothfulness in prayer.”
18. “A man who is intimate with God will never be intimidated by men.”
19. “If you want to be wise, think of yourself as a learner, not an expert. Experts have already found what they’re looking for. Learners are still searching.”
20. “If you wait until you can do everything for everybody, instead of something for somebody, you’ll end up not doing anything for anybody.”
21. “Sincerity makes the very least person to be of more value than the most talented hypocrite.”
22. “The gospel is like a caged lion. It doesn’t need to be defended, it just needs to be let out of its cage.”
23. “Humility is the proper estimate of oneself.”
24. “Joy in Christ requires a commitment to working at the Christian lifestyle. Joy is not an automatic result of conversion; it is a fruit of obedience.”
25. “The more you read the Bible, the more you’ll love the Author.”
Charles Spurgeon’s books
If you’ve been inspired by Charles Spurgeon’s quotes and want to dive deeper into his teachings, then you’ll definitely want to check out his books.
Here’s a list of some of his most recommended works that serve as valuable resources for Christians looking to strengthen their faith and deepen their relationship with God:
1. Morning and Evening: A collection of daily devotions for morning and evening that provide spiritual nourishment to start and end your day.
2. All of Grace: A powerful book that expounds on the doctrine of salvation by grace alone, Spurgeon’s testimony of the gospel is both heartfelt and compelling.
3. The Treasury of David: A monumental work on the Psalms that provides a detailed and insightful commentary on each chapter of the book.
4. The Soul Winner: This book serves as a practical guide for Christians on how to share their faith and win souls for Christ.
5. Spurgeon’s Sermons: Available in both written and audio format, these sermons capture the passion and depth of Spurgeon’s preaching and provide profound insights on the Christian faith.
Each of these books offers a different perspective on the Christian faith and provides valuable insights into the teachings of Charles Spurgeon. Whether you’re a seminary student, a pastor, or just someone looking to deepen your faith, these books serve as a valuable resource for anyone seeking to understand the teachings of this great Christian leader.